Volunteers are vital to the Mission’s daily operations. There are many ways to get involved, check out the details below and sign-up today!
Questions? Please contact Harlee McKinney, Volunteer Coordinator, at (540) 343-7227 ext. 7628 or email@example.com.
We ask that volunteers dress comfortably, yet appropriately. Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes; no short shorts or tank tops.
- If you are inquiring about Community Service to satisfy the Court, those inquires may be made by calling our main number at 540-343-7227. All Community Service will be served at our Donation Center.
FOOD SERVICE MINISTRY
As a volunteer you will have the opportunity to share not only a hot meal with our shelter and community guests but engage with encouraging words and a friendly smile. Volunteers are needed to serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner 365 days a year.
- The Rescue Mission is located at 402 4th Street, SE, Roanoke. Parking is available along 4th Street or in the main parking lot.
- Enter through our main lobby where you will be welcomed and directed back to the kitchen area.
Volunteer with Food Service in the following months:
Manna is a weekly grocery box distribution program serving struggling families in the Roanoke region. Volunteers are needed to help ensure this is a smooth process for those that are in need of food on Saturday mornings.
- Parking is available along 4th Street or in the main parking lot.
- Manna takes place in the downstairs entrance of the Donation Center.
Volunteer with Manna in the following months:
2ND HELPINGS, THRIFT 460 AND THE DONATION CENTER
Did you know the Rescue Mission operates two retail stores that are solely based on donations? All donations of clothing and goods are filtered through our Donation Center. Volunteers are needed to help sort through donations and assist on the sales floor.
- 2nd Helpings is located at 1502 Williamson Road, Roanoke.
Volunteer at 2nd Helpings in the following months:
- Thrift 460 is located at 3425 Orange Avenue, NE, Roanoke.
Volunteer at Thrift 460 in the following months:
- The Donations Center is located at 421 4th Street, SE, Roanoke.
Volunteer at the Donation Center in the following months:
THE RESCUE MISSION’S G. WAYNE FRALIN FREE CLINIC FOR THE HOMELESS
The clinic provides primary and preventive care to homeless individuals. Volunteer healthcare providers are needed to help provide care to homeless individuals and families in need to improve the quality of their lives. The clinic provides medical, dental, vision and mental health care.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Clinic, please call Pam Milkowski at 540-777-7671.
Bless My Sole
This unique ministry takes place every third Thursday of the month as a means of sharing Christ’s love with people who are homeless and hurting. Volunteers wash participants’ feet and have an opportunity to talk and pray with them. Volunteer medical providers examine foot wounds, trim nails, and administer treatment as needed.
- The Clinic is located 321 Tazewell Avenue, SE, Roanoke.
Chapel and Children’s Chapel are held Wednesday and Friday evenings at the Rescue Mission.
Chapel services may include a sermon, worship music, and can be traditional or contemporary. Chapel services take place in the Chapel in the main building of the Rescue Mission located at 402 4th Street, SE, Roanoke.
Music opportunities are available Monday – Friday in the Dining Hall for our guests to enjoy during dinner.
To sign up for any chapel service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All recovery participants focus on their academics while at the Rescue Mission. Courses range from the core subjects (i.e. math and English) to personal and professional development, such as personal finance. We are always seeking tutors, teachers, retired teachers or those wanting to teach on their favorite topic or hobby. Classes are typically taught weekly for 4-6 weeks.
Contact Lana Stewart at email@example.com to sign up to help in the Learning Center.